What is Reputation Management?
- Sometimes referred to as rep management, online reputation management or ORM is the practice of attempting to shape public perception of a person or organization by influencing online information about that entity.
- It is the process of identifying what other people are saying or feeling about you or your business; and taking steps to ensure that the general consensus is in line with your goals.
- It is the act of monitoring, influencing, growing, and managing what’s being said about a business or person online.
It is a part of a greater digital marketing strategy that works alongside review management, business listings, landing pages, paid search/ads, social media management and SEO to help a business stay competitive and relevant online.
Online Reputation Management
How did it become Online Reputation Management?
- In the good ol’ days, a business’s reputation used to be what they said about themselves in their advertising (and PR campaigns) and the limited reach their customers had via word of mouth.
- Now, in the digital age, consumers have power (if not), with their feedback. Rather than the business, consumers are now the ones pushing out a company’s reputation and image collectively by providing real-time feedback online through review sites, social media, forums and other channels.
- A business’s reputation is now crowdsourced, just like many things on the internet.
Why is Reputation Management Important?
- People (at least 88% of them) read reviews before they make a decision to purchase anything. It’s the pivotal step of the modern customer journey, and without a positive online reputation, people just won’t trust you enough to buy from you.
- However, it takes time to build a positive reputation, which is why taking a proactive approachto reputation management is essential.
- While it can take years to cultivate a healthy online reputation, it may only hours or minutesto undo all that work. Did you know that only 14% of consumers would consider purchasing from a business with a 1 or 2-star rating?
- When negative reviews or comments happen online, it’s essential to be on top of them with an action plan of how to respond and handle that event.
The Key Elements of Reputation Management
- Review Monitoring
- Responding to Reviews
- Social Monitoring
- Mention Monitoring
- Responding to Social Mentions
- Competitive Benchmarking
How Reputation Management Works?
- Due to the volume of mentions that can happen across the thousands of review websites, social platforms, blogs, forums, and beyond, manually monitoring and managing your online reputation is nearly impossible.
- Businesses can instead take advantage of solutions that automate the process and allow them to track everything from one platform.
- There are many reputation management options out there for local businesses. Our advice for local businesses is to get reputation help from a trusted local digital marketing agency or media company. They’re most likely to have the solutions, expertise, and knowledge of your market and vertical to meet your needs.